Monday, August 3, 2009

On regret

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Ambrose Bierce

"Regret for the things we have done will be tempered by time. It is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."

Sydney J. Harris

"It is a sad day when one looks back and sees that his largest regrets have become some of the most integral elements of his dreams."

John Knowles

"As I grow older, I regret to say that a detestable habit of thinking seems to be getting a hold of me."

H. Rider Haggard

"May I surrender the past without regret, and accept the future without fear."

Brenda Jenkins Kleager

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."

Alexander Graham Bell

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to."

Mitch Albom

"I will do you one last favour, in the name and memory of the figment you have replaced. I will clarify a misapprehension of yours. Circumstances did not conspire against me. I was not led into anything, nor did I fall. I chose my life and my course. I chose to do wrong in the hope that right might come of it. I regret it. I would choose differently now. But the choice was mine. Deny that, falsify it, tinsel it over with pious, pitying justification, and you deny everything I am and every scrap of what little good I have been able to do in my life. Good or bad, give me credit for what I have done. I would rather go honestly to Hell, admitting that I leaped knowingly into error and folly, than enter into the sweetest Heaven men can dream of by whining that I had been pushed."

Steven Brust

"Never regret anything. Because at one time it was exactly what you wanted."

Kelsey C. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment